[strongSwan] Traffic shaping for multiple ipsec clients with Linux tc

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Fri Jul 31 15:16:50 CEST 2015

Hello Vitaly,

Assuming the shaping part of the network stack
sees incoming ESP/AH packets twice (one time as ESP/AH packets
and then one time as their payload , which happens with tcpdump,
you don't need to mark the packets at all to shape them. You can
just access their proterties (IP source/destination, protocol, TOS, ...)
using u32 matches in tc and shape on those properties.

If you still want to use iptables to mark packets, then be aware
that MARK is _not_ a terminating target.

Because SSH and SCP both work on tcp port 22 and use SSH
(no surprise) as session protocol, you can't distinguish them
from another. You need to make the scp client set the TOS
field on the packets it sends, so you can tell them
apart from SSH packets.

>  iptables -t mangle -A INPUT -i $DEV -s $IP -p tcp --tcp-flags ALL ACK -j CONNMARK --set-mark ${MARKFW_ONE}
That rule is completely useless, because the CONNMARK applies to
the /whole/ connection. So you'd prioritize the connection, not the packet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards,
Noel Kuntze

GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658