[strongSwan] High availability configuration

unite unite at openmailbox.org
Mon Feb 23 08:43:42 CET 2015

On 2015-02-22 15:29, Noel Kuntze wrote:

Hi guys!

I am using HP ProCurve switches - I've done quite a little testing,
however it seems that it does work, at least I correctly receive
multicast traffic on both nodes.

Could you advise something on this my letter:

So... If I use the active/passive config without using multicast
address, should my tunnel source address and addresses on vpn-linked
subnets be present on currently passive node? Or i can maintain this
addresses using, for example, vrrp, so they are only on the active node
and are got up on the passive only in the case of failure?

In active/active config, I've written two clusterip rules because I'm
not sure how to make it running correctly:
so, eth0 - points to the ISP1 (192.168.1.0/24 subnet), eth1 - points to
the ISP2 (192.168.2.0/24) subnet, and tunnel source IP resides on the
vlan interface - for example vlan50:0 (1.1.1.50), subnet for vlan50 is
1.1.1.0/24. I'm just quite new to iptables clusterip module. Is the
input interface stated in iptables rule somehow strictly bound to subnet
on this interface? Or it can be safely ignored and the rule can be
written completely without input interface statement - just using
destination IP and making it clusterip? Or should I create clusterip
using vlan50 input interface on which the corresponding subnet resides?

And also, assuming that routing is implemented using bgp,  can I setup
cluster IP's only on external interfaces in ISP-pointing networks, and
just create interface alias for tunnel source on vlan interface? I guess
my explanations are quite unclear, so I'll try to explain in little bit
more detail (I'll use only one isp in example).

So:
Remote-Host(100.100.100.100)-----Internet--- ISP-Gateway(192.168.1.1)

ISP gateway is in the same subnet as two my nodes:

NODE1 eth0(192.168.1.3)--------ISP-Gateway (192.168.1.1) ------------
NODE2 eth0(192.168.1.4)

Cluster IP for my two nodes will be 192.168.1.2 using clusterip (so
traffic should be received by both nodes using multicast). Both node 1
and 2 have the ip 1.1.1.50 which is tunnel source for all of my tunnels
set just as an alias interface without using cluster ip (Or it also
should be clusterip?). So for example if we trace packet from the host
100.100.100.100 to my 1.1.1.50 address on the ISP-Gateway to MY-Cluster
stage, the packet will hit the clusterip mac (01:00:5e:11:22:33) on
NODE1 interface eth0:0 with the destination of 1.1.1.50 (having source
ip of 100.100.100.100 and source mac as ISP-Gateway interface). It will
be processed then by interface vlan50:0 (1.1.1.50) whcih has tunnel
source IP and be further decrypted and passed through. At the same time
node2 should receive the same traffic with multicast but it shouldn't
process it. If another remote host initiates the second tunnel from
200.200.200.200 ip the process should be the same but traffic processing
would be held by node2. Am I right? Would such sa scheme work as
expected?

Still, do I need to patch the 3.16 kernel to use HA plugin? I tried
setting up the HA without patching the kernel and failed. As I've said
I've installed strongswan 5.2.1 from wheezy-backports. Is the repository
version of strongswan built with ha plugin or I should rebuild it
manually enabling ha-plugin? Also, it is very possible that I do have
some configuration issues (I configured it using how-to's and
active\active configuration examples). I'll provide my config files
tomorrow so probably someone could point me to the source of the
problem.

Thanks for your help. If something is still unclear tell me and I'll try
to explain in more detail.

--
With kind regards,
Aleksey