[strongSwan] Building without Kernel support

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Mon Feb 16 09:44:15 CET 2015

Hi Ryan,

> I’m trying to build strongSwan without Kernel dependencies.  I’d like
> to use something like the lib-ipsec module (but modified), to receive
> the child SA’s for use on a crypto processor.

strongSwan has different kernel backends. If you don't want to use one
of ours, you might provide your own. But you need both a kernel-ipsec
and a kernel-net backend plugin implementing the appropriate interfaces.

The default kernel-netlink backend provides both, a kernel-net and a
kernel-ipsec backend, refer to the sources for details. You may use that
plugin as a template to implement your own, or even reuse some
functionality such as the kernel-net part of it.