[strongSwan] Building strongSwan on one machine, to be installed on another - paths

Ryan Ruel ryan0751 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 02:02:04 CET 2015

I am trying to build strongSwan on one machine, which will ultimately be installed on another machine, but in a different path.

On the machine where I need to build strongSwan, I was hoping to use:

./configure —prefix=/home/foo/install
make
make install

Which of course, puts everything into /home/foo/install, which makes it nice to tar it up for exporting to another machine.

The machine where I’m planning on running strongSwan requires that I put the binaries into a non-standard, but when I try to do this, the libraries and such are all in the wrong places.

Which would be the best solution to this problem?

- Should I use the “enable-monolithic” option and statically link everything in?  Would that help, or hurt?  I see that the .so’s are still built.
- Is there a way to specify the final paths for everything when I compile, except for the install prefix, so that “make install” still puts everything in the right place, but the compiled in paths match the final machine paths?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks!

/Ryan