[strongSwan] Query reg UDP encapsulation for IPv6

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Thu Apr 16 09:04:54 CEST 2015

See below

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.strongswan.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.strongswan.org] On Behalf Of Ruel, Ryan
Sent: donderdag 16 april 2015 1:23
To: Tom Rymes; users at lists.strongswan.org
Subject: Re: [strongSwan] Query reg UDP encapsulation for IPv6

Future proof in what way?

IPv4 addresses are 32 bits long and number about
7009430000000000000♠4.3×109 (4.3 billion).
IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long and number about
7038340000000000000♠3.4×1038 (340undecillion).

NAT was built as a stop-gap measure due to the limitation in the number of addresses with IPv4.  It happens to be quite effective, but not without it's many problems.

With IPv6, we are talking about an unimaginable amount of addresses!  Why would we want to re-introduce the pain of NAT?

/Ryan