[strongSwan] issue with firewall rules

Rajiv Kulkarni rajivkulkarni69 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 22:09:59 CEST 2015

Hi

My preference would be to do the below steps:

1. add the following rules on each of the ipsec-peer-gws, if not already
done

iptables -A INPUT -p esp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 500 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1701 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -p esp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 500 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1701 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -p esp -j ACCEPT

2. Next i think you should remove all those leftupdown/rightupdowns
statements from all the conn entries of all GWs

just use the below 2 statements in ALL the ipsec-peer-gws participating in
the tunnels without any exceptions

leftfirewall=yes
lefthostaccess=yes

3. Please use the orginal  default "updown" script as it is without making
any changes to it. I think the original default updown script would work
for most scenarios without any issues

4. If i understand correctly each of the leftfirewall/lefthostaccess and
the updown file is locally relevant to the respective GWs

thanks
rajiv