[strongSwan] Intermediate CAs unknown to peer?

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Thu Sep 25 08:43:06 CEST 2014

Hi Shea,

concatenating multiple certificates into a single PEM file is not
supported by strongSwan. You could import the user certificate,
the corresponding private key and the trust chain via a key file
in PKCS#12 format as in the following example:

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/net2net-pkcs12/moon.ipsec.secrets

The user certificate and any intermediate certificates will be
sent to the peer via the IKE protocol.

In ipsec.conf you don't need a leftcert parameter. Just indicate
leftid so that the matching user certificate can be found.

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/net2net-pkcs12/moon.ipsec.conf

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org