[strongSwan] native android vpn client

Cindy Moore ctmoore at cs.ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 16 07:44:48 CEST 2014

Is it possible to set up the vpn connection with Android's own vpn
client (and NOT the strongswan app)?  I am finding conflicting
information that suggests that at one point it did, but I am not clear
if that is still the case.

In setting up a vpn connection with L2TP/IpSEC with RSA, I find that
the android vpn keeps demanding a username and password, even though I
have installed the RSA certificates and included them in the vpn
setup.  I have no idea where it thinks there's a username/password, or
where to set that up, or how to get it to stop asking for that.

(Note that the android strongswan app *does work* with this
certificate and the current ipsec.conf, ipsec version 5.1.2)

[More generally, I am attempting to set things up so that folks in my
dept can connect to the vpn using native vpn apps on their respective
OS.  I'm trying to avoid requiring users to install specific software
to simplify the whole process.  I'm using RSA certificates so that I
can ultimately assign specific IP addresses to individual users, but
right now I'd be deliriously happy to just get the connections set up.
I've got Linux down, questions on OS X, and am trying to get iPhone
and Android going. At some point I'll also try to get Windows
working.]

Thanks muchly