[strongSwan] no virtual IP found for %any6

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Fri Oct 3 09:19:08 CEST 2014

Hi Jay,

> The IPV4 tunnel appears to be
> assigned whereas there is no IPV6 tunnel configured so none is assigned.
> The result is that the Android client deletes the connection since both
> requests aren't satisfied.

No that's not the issue.  It's perfectly fine to setup a tunnel for one
address family only.

> 04[KNL] received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)
> 04[KNL] unable to add SAD entry with SPI c8489b44
> 04[KNL] received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)
> 04[KNL] unable to add SAD entry with SPI 6c540958
> 04[IKE] unable to install inbound and outbound IPsec SA (SAD) in kernel
> 04[IKE] failed to establish CHILD_SA, keeping IKE_SA

This is the actual problem that causes the server to return a
NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN notify back to the client, which it then treats as a
failure:

> 05[IKE] received NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN notify, no CHILD_SA built
> 05[IKE] closing IKE_SA due CHILD_SA setup failure

Regarding the error returned by your kernel:

> received netlink error: No such file or directory (2)

I'm not sure what may cause it at that point.  Most likely you are
missing some of the required kernel modules [1].

Regards,
Tobias

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/KernelModules