[strongSwan] help setting up basic VPN on ubuntu

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Sat Nov 29 18:04:04 CET 2014

Hello Imran,

IPsec/L2TP is mostly used with IKEv1, not IKEv2. Please tell us what clients you're trying to use,
to make sure they try to use IKEv2, too.

L2TP is not handled by strongSwan. You need to use xl2tp for that. Most clients try to use transport mode
for the IPsec connection. Make sure your peer configuration has that specified. Also, plese make strongSwan
write a log [1] with the settings shown in [2], show us the log that was created and show us your ipsec.conf.

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/LoggerConfiguration

[2]
                        default = 3
                        mgr = 1
                        ike = 1
                        net = 1
                        enc = 0
                        cfg = 2
                        asn = 1
                        job = 1
                        knl = 1
                        append=no
                        ike_name=no
                        flush_line=yes

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards,
Noel Kuntze

GPG Key ID: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658