[strongSwan] received 250000000 lifebytes, configured 0

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Tue Nov 4 09:51:17 CET 2014

Hi Rolf,

> During connection attempts of a Windows 7 client by IKEv1 in transport mode, I see the following:

> [IKE] <L2TP/IPsec-PSK|1> received 250000000 lifebytes, configured 0

These lifebytes refer to the number of bytes the peer allows over this
Quick Mode before it expires, as sent in its proposal. It allows 250MB
of data, and usually should create a new Quick Mode before the old one
expires.

strongSwan prints this line because it does not match to what you have
configured, i.e. no volume limit. We currently don't enforce such
received lifetimes, but only those configured.