[strongSwan] ipsec.conf strongswan.conf on Android

Peter Hsiang phsiang at nvidia.com
Wed May 28 19:31:11 CEST 2014

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your help.
Yes I am running this on a rooted device, with full access to modify the kernel.  I have rebuilt the kernel to include the missing modules (xfrm_algo.ko, ah4.ko, ipcomp.io, xfrm4_tunnel.ko, xfrm_user.ko, and statically af_key and esp4 are built-in).

I used the strongswan-1.5.2 source.  Then copied over the missing file src/libimcv/Android.mk from git checkout of 5.1.2RC1 code base.

The way I build it is by building the Android source code.  Place the strongswan-1.5.2 directory under Android's external/ directory.  Then use the Android's make command from external/strongswan-1.5.2/ directory.  That would place the ipsec binaries to the install directory, then go back to the top level and do a make to package the ipsec binaries to a flashable Android image.  This build process however, does not install the ipsec.conf, strongswan.conf, ipsec.d, strongswan.d directories the way that the desktop Ubuntu Linux strongswan build would.  I had to manually copy those configuration files into the target device after flashing the Android image.

On the Ubuntu desktop strongswan build using traditional make, it would build several .ko's for the plugins.  The Android build does not build any of those.  Are they statically built into the libcharon.ko, or it is not setup correctly so it does not build?

I'd like to get the command line strongswan to run on Android first so I can leverage the existing ipsec.conf strongswan.conf configurations files.

Going the GUI APK path, the ipsec libs are entirely userspace and it does not use any of the kernel space ipsec libs right?
How do we go about porting the settings in the configuration files to the GUI APK environment?

Thanks,
Peter