[strongSwan] Big packet loss under load

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Wed May 28 18:15:42 CEST 2014

Roland Mas, 2014-05-15 18:00:11 +0200 :

[...]

>   Using iperf in UDP, I get <0.01% packet loss until 200 Mb/s, then it
> increases to 1-10% (varying across runs) at 300 Mb/s.  However, this
> seems to have no impact on a ping running in parallel.
>
>   Nothing significant in the kernel logs, and there don't seem to be
> anything about conntracking in the netfilters.  nf_conntrack_max is
> set at its default value (65536), so we should be fine from that
> perspective.
>
>   Any other hint?

  For those following at home: it's quite possible that my problem was
due to a misconfiguration of the VMs' MAC addresses; in any case, the
pressing need for something functional (even if less secure) led us to
give up on StrongSwan for now.  I'm sorry about that, but now I know
that StrongSwan is not actually that scary, I'm likely to try again at
some time in the future.

  Thanks for the advice!

Roland.
--