[strongSwan] Questions for getting Strongswan up and running

Brian Watson bwats9999 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:06:06 CEST 2014

I have setup strongswan with the config files on 2 virtual boxes running
Ubuntu 14.04. I have the following with the 2nd virtual machine basically
mirroring the first with the exception of the ip address being swapped
around:

1. I setup the config files on 2 Ubuntu virtualbox machines
  ipsec.conf
  -------------------------
  config setup

  conn %default
          ikelifetime=60m
          keylife=20m
          rekeymargin=3m
          keyingtries=1
          keyexchange=ikev2
          authby=secret

  conn home
          left=127.0.0.2
          leftfirewall=no
          right=127.0.0.3
          auto=add

  ipsec.secrets
  ------------------------------
  127.0.0.2 : PSK <shared secret>

  strongswan.conf
  -------------------------------
  charon {
      load = aes des sha1 sha2 md5 gmp random nonce hmac stroke
kernel-netlink socket-default   updown
  }

2. I issue "sudo ipsec start" and status commands and get the following:

Starting strongSwan 5.1.2 IPsec [starter]...
!! Your strongswan.conf contains manual plugin load options for charon.
!! This is recommended for experts only, see
!! http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/PluginLoad
brianswan3 at brianswan3-VirtualBox:/etc$ sudo ipsec status
Security Associations (0 up, 0 connecting):
  none

3. The fact that it shows no security associations implies to me that it
didn't work. Is this true and is there something obvious that  I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks,
   Brian