[strongSwan] How to debug the decrease in setup rate under high load

Chinmaya Dwibedy ckdwibedy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 11:43:37 CET 2014

Hi All,
I am using the load
tester plugin of strongswan (5.0.4) and running with 200k IPsec tunnels (DH
group 1, Encryption algo: AES and integrity algorithm: SHA1). I am getting the
following issue i.e. I find the setup rate to be 200+ till 190k IPsec tunnels but
thereafter it drops to 100. In such high load, I am unable to debug as I have
turned off logging fully.   Can anyone pls guide/suggest me how to debug
this issue? Thanks in advance for your support.
Note that, we are
using two Multi-Core MIPS64 Processors with 16 cnMIPS64 v2 cores (one acts as
an IKE initiator and another as an IKE responder). We are running strongswan in
both systems. Both the systems have 1Gbps Ethernet cards, which are connected to
1 Gbps L2 switch. The Wind River Linux runs on all the 16 cores.
Regards,
Chinmaya