[strongSwan] Problem with 'auto=start' on unused SA

Emeric POUPON emeric.poupon at stormshield.eu
Thu Jul 31 11:09:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

Yes indeed, at least one packet is lost when using auto=route.

I discovered that FreeBSD does not properly handle SAs regarding the PFKEYV2 RFC:
1/ the SADB_EXPIRE (with soft extension) message is sent only if the soft lifetime is non-zero and the SA has been used. The RFC does not say it has to be used though.
-> Sending the SADB_EXPIRE message with soft extension even if the SA has not been used corrected my initial problem: the CHILD SA is rekeyed forever as I expected.

2/ the SADB_EXPIRE (with hard extension) message is never sent. Furthermore, the hard lifetime is not checked if the soft lifetime is set to 0, and the SA remains forever in the SAD.
-> Is sending the SADB_EXPIRE message with hard extension mandatory for strongswan to properly work?
-> AFAIK, a SADB_EXPIRE message has to be sent for both soft and hard lifetime timeout ?

Could you please tell me more about the strongswan logic regarding these messages?

Regards,
Emeric