[strongSwan] IPSec Tunnel Up, But No Traffic

Joe Ryan jr at aphyt.com
Tue Jul 29 22:24:33 CEST 2014

Hello Everyone,

I have a DigitalOcean VPS running Ubuntu 12.04 that I want to connect to
with a BeagleBone running Debian so that I can access all of the devices
on the same subnet as the BeagleBone, and not have to worry about an IT
department opening ports. I have tried this with both StrongSwan 4.5.2
and 5.2.0 and have the same result, so I'm sure it's my configuration.
After bringing up the the connection everything negotiates as expected,
and the final line of ipsec status all is machinetun{1}:   10.128.0.0/16
=== 192.168.250.0/24 where machinetun is the connection 10.128.0.0/16 is
a private network on DigitalOcean and the 192.168.250.0/24 is a private
network on my machine. My logs show the CHILD_SA being established and
rekeyed as expected, with keep alive packets going out frequently, and
nothing to suggest a problem.

At this point I would hope that I would be able to ping the gateway on
my machine, 192.168.250.60 from the DigitalOcean VPS private IP address
using one of the following:

#ping the BeagleBone gateway from DO
ping 192.168.250.60
#ping the BeagleBone gateway with an interface on the DO private network
ping -I 10.128.120.160 192.168.250.60

But get no results in this direction or the reverse.

I also have net.ipv4.ip_forward 1 on both machines.

My configurations are below, and I hope someone might have a good idea
what direction I can look to in to figure out what I've done wrong.

# BeagleBone Conf
config setup
         strictcrlpolicy=no
         charondebug=1