[strongSwan] Connecting Multiple VPCs using StrongSwan with VPC VPN connections

Supratik Goswami supratiksekhar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 05:13:40 CET 2014

Hi

I am using multiple AWS accounts for production/test environments, each
environment is running a VPC. I have configured Amazon VPC VPN connections
in each of the VPC. There is a another AWS account in which I have
configured
StrongSwan in EC2 instance.

I am able to create the IPSec tunnels from the StrongSwan instance to the
other
VPC VPN tunnels. When I check the "status" of the tunnels it shows all
established.

When I try to ping from the EC2 instance (running StrongSwan) to any EC2
instance
running in the other VPC it fails but when I ping from the other end I am
able to
see the ICMP requests from the tcpdump but reply is not reaching back to
those instances.

Below is my ipsec.conf configuration.

conn %default
keyexchange=ikev1
keyingtries=%forever
 esp=aes128-sha1-modp1024
ike=aes128-sha1-modp1024
ikelifetime=8h
 auto=start
authby=secret
dpdaction=restart
closeaction=restart
 dpddelay=10s
dpdtimeout=30s
leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
 installpolicy=no

conn VPC-CUST-GW1
left=10.255.0.5
right=72.21.209.194
 rightsubnet=10.21.0.0/16
leftfirewall=yes

conn VPC-CUST-GW2
 left=10.255.0.5
right=72.21.209.226
rightsubnet=10.21.0.0/16
 leftfirewall=yes

conn VPC-CUST-GW3
left=10.255.0.127
right=72.21.209.192
 rightsubnet=10.30.0.0/16
leftfirewall=yes

conn VPC-CUST-GW4
        left=10.255.0.127
        right=72.21.209.226
rightsubnet=10.30.0.0/16
leftfirewall=yes

Can anyone help me to figure out what I am missing here?

--
Warm Regards

Supratik