[strongSwan] dynamic traffic selectors

Arvid E. Picciani aep at exys.org
Wed Apr 30 13:51:38 CEST 2014

Hey,

i gave up trying to get transport mode working with NAT. Tunnel mode
works fine.
However, i need a way to dynamically change which tunnel some ips are
in.

Our setup is like

  [       endpoint1      ]       [       endpoint2      ]
   |          |        |           |          |        |
   |          |        |           |          |        |
   |          |        |           |          |        |
[ gw1 ]   [ gw2 ]   [ gw3 ] ....[ gw4 ]   [ gw5 ]   [ gw6 ]
  |                      |
user  ----> moves here  ^

Let's say a user (100.64.1.100) is on gw1, which has a tunnel
100.64.1.0/24 == 0.0.0.0/0
so the traffic selector on endpoint1 puts everything 100.64.1.0/24 to
gw1
when the user moves to gateway gw3, and _keeps_ its ip (yes this
happens)
i need a way to change the traffic selector for the gw1 tunnel to
exclude that ip,
and include it in the one for gw3.

Any idea if this is possible? I could specify all 255 addresses in the
selector, and change it via stroke, but something tells me this will
cause interruptions.