[strongSwan] dpd and INFORMATIONAL requests

Tiago Vasconcelos tiago.o.vasconcelos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:12:44 CEST 2014

I've enabled dpd by adding the following lines to the conn %default
section of ipsec.conf:

         dpdaction=restart
         dpddelay=10

Judging from the output of 'ipsec statusall' I presume dpd is set:

ut01: child:  10.12.0.0/15 === 10.14.0.0/15 TUNNEL, dpdaction=restart

But in the logs, I don't see any INFORMATIONAL requests being generated
or received from the other strongSwan hosts running 5.1.1:

    charon: [info] 15[ENC] generating INFORMATIONAL request 7 [ ]
    charon: [info] 04[ENC] parsed INFORMATIONAL response 7 [ ]

I only see INFORMATIONAL messages to/from hosts running 4.5 and 4.6.
How can I check whether dpd is actually working?
I'm using IKEv2, by the way.

--
Tiago