[strongSwan] Is a trusted man in the middle possible with ipsec ike v2 tunnel mode?

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Mon Apr 21 19:09:49 CEST 2014

Hello bob,

If you look at the packet flow graph[1] of the netfilter part of the Linux kernel, you can see
that you can indeed do that with the nat table in the FORWARD queue.

You can listen for xfrm events on the security gateway, if it's running linux, similiar to what iproute does.
Look at the part of the source handling "ip xfrm monitor".

I think the easiest way to do what you want, is the set up the trusted MITM just literally next to the box terminating the tunnel and send
the new negotiated keys to your trusted MITM over USB/serial/ssh(?)/other protocols. The trusted MITM then just does something like wireshark does with esp traffic.

Regards,
Noel Kuntze

[1] http://inai.de/images/nf-packet-flow.png

GPG Key id: 0x63EC6658
Fingerprint: 23CA BB60 2146 05E7 7278 6592 3839 298F 63EC 6658