[strongSwan] Question on Networking in StrongSwan

Hay, Ben (TS Consulting) ben.hay at hp.com
Tue Apr 1 11:18:39 CEST 2014

Hi Everyone

I am currently trying to implement StrongSwan into a proof of concept on a laptop running VM Workstation. I am having some issues with the networking between StrongSwan and the backend infrastructure.

This is how my network currently looks...

[cid:image007.png at 01CF4D93.BDA71A10]

Currently I have a good connection from the mobile devices, through a router and into StrongSwan. So the VPN server is running and accepting requests. I can run a ping from the StrongSwan server to the router/mobile device fine. I can also run a ping from the DNS server to StrongSwan fine. However when I try to ping from Strong Swan to the DNS server, I get nothing at all. They are both on the same virtual subnet, and can ping in one direction but not the other.

So... pinging from the DNS server to StrongSwan, works fine...
[cid:image005.png at 01CF4D93.53771C80]
However when pinging from StrongSwan to the DNS server, I get no response.
[cid:image006.png at 01CF4D93.53771C80]
This is my routing table in StrongSwan.. As you can see there is a route to connect to the DNS server which is 172.17.61.10 out of eth1 which is correct, but when I run the command I get no response.
[cid:image004.png at 01CF4D92.96A392A0]

I have ran my environment on a different laptop to rule this out of the problem.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what might be causing this issues. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ben Hay
Technology Consultant