[strongSwan] net2net ikev1 authentication and routing

Moritz Herrmann moritz.herrmann at schirmherrschaften.de
Fri Sep 27 00:05:26 CEST 2013

Hi

hopefully someone can throw me in the right direction because I have
some problems setting up a VPN net2net configuration.

I'm useing strongswan 4.5.2 with pluto

config from the left side; rightside is nearly identical except the
subnets are inverted
# ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file
conn net-net
        auto=add
        left=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=192.168.10.0/24
        leftfirewall=yes
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        keyexchange=ikev1
        ike=aes128-sha-modp1536
        esp=aes128-sha1-modp1536
        mobike=no
        authby=secret
        keylife=20m
        rekeymargin=3m
        dpddelay=1m
        dpdtimeout=3m
        dpdaction=clear

The first problem is the authentication. Is there a way to generalize
the rightsubnet-definition to accept any subnet for auth? We have 4
different subnets on the right side. 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24,
192.168.3.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24

The next thing is the routing. If I Ping from the right side a host
within the network of the leftside I have to set the route for the
right side subnet manualy on the specific host dispite the fact that
the vpn gateway on the left site is the default gateway.

Any help would be nice because I in free fall here.
Thank in advance!

moe