[strongSwan] ikev1 + freeradius (accounting only)

WorkingMan signup_mail2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 16:53:19 CEST 2013

Martin Willi <martin at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> > 1) certification only authentication without secondary authentication
(ex:
> > xauth) for ikev1
> > 2) need radius accounting (ie: freeradius)
> >
> > If xauth-eap is used accounting will happen but that means I am forced
to use
> > xauth (remember authentication and accounting are decoupled in
freeradius).

> Why bother with xauth-eap if you don't need XAuth?
>
> Accounting works independent of Authentication. You can use any
> non-RADIUS authentication method, but configure the eap-radius plugin to
> do Accounting only.
>
> > I wonder why bother with EAP-TLS/radius for VPN if strongswan can
already do
> > mutual authentication (based on charon.log) with certificate?
>
> It makes sense in a few situations:
>
>       * Windows 7 can use EAP-TLS in IKEv2 for Smartcard user
>         authentication (IKEv2 certificate authentication can use machine
>         certificates only).
>       * You can delegate certificate validation/authentication to an AAA
>         backend using RADIUS. This backend could enforce additional
>         policies that the IPsec gateway not might have access to, and
>         then forward policy decisions to the strongSwan.
>       * Because we can!
>
> Regards
> Martin

If I use the following it doesn't work:

Does not work:

keyexchange=ikev1
authby=xauthrsasig
leftauth=pubkey
rightauth=pubkey
rightauth2=eap-radius

charon.log:
no peer config found - are you sure eap-radius works with ikev1?

Works:

keyexchange=ikev1
authby=xauthrsasig
leftauth=pubkey
rightauth=pubkey
rightauth2=xauth-eap

In the event eap-radius works with ikev2 in the way you describe it, can you
tell me how to configure it to have accounting only (like we discussed
earlier)?

Thanks,