[strongSwan] FW: ikev2 vpn using PKI auth with a Blackberry Z10

G. B. gawd0wns at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 04:24:15 CEST 2013

Strongswan (v5.0.4) is running on my gateway.  Tcpdump is clearly showing the packets making their way to the client (on my wan and lan), though I do not see anything coming back in return.  I don't think the packets are being filtered on the way to the client device or back; I connected the device to my wifi network and experience the same issues.  I currently have the following firewall rules enabled:

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 500 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT

when the tunnel comes up, two more entries are added:

ACCEPT     all  --  10.10.10.1           67.215.65.0/24      policy match dir in pol ipsec reqid 1 proto ipv6-crypt
ACCEPT     all  --  67.215.65.0/24       10.10.10.1          policy match dir out pol ipsec reqid 1 proto ipv6-crypt

Why did strongswan insert these rules and what do they mean?  Neither my client device or my strongswan server are on the 67.215.65.0/24 ip range.  I have no idea where strongswan is getting this 67.xxx network range.  Is this correct?