[strongSwan] send delay

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Oct 4 09:30:30 CEST 2013

Hi Bob,

> What is the purpose of send_delay and how exactly does it work? Is it
> there for testing purposes or is there a use in the real world?

It is mostly for testing purposes, I don't think that there is much real
use from it in productive setups.

> Is this true any time an INFORMATIONAL is sent?  Or is it only when a
> large number would have been sent when doing an "ipsec down name [*]"
> command?

The delay is applied to any IKE message of the configured type sent by
the daemon (or all messages if no type is configured).

Configuring send/receive delays allows us to add delay to messages and
reproduce some nasty corner cases, such as exchange collisions.