[strongSwan] Renegotiation when SPI missing

Steffen Heise foolix81-nerd at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 26 23:53:55 CET 2013

Hi Martin,

although it seems a bit constructed, I had exactly this situation last
week. I don't know how it came that the SPI on one side was missing, but
it was. I am running further tests at the moment to reproduce the issue.

Anyway, it turned out that when you have an IKE server and a roadwarrior
for example, the roadwarrior will indeed renegotiate a connection when
the SPI is missing, whereas the server won't. This seems reasonable in
the first place, because server would not start a keying sequence
normally, but I see no reason why it should not, when there is a
conneciton already (DPD packets and so on).

Regards,

Steffen