[strongSwan] Renegotiation when SPI missing

Steffen Heise foolix81-nerd at yahoo.de
Mon Nov 25 19:17:46 CET 2013

Hello,

I have two host which communicate using IPSec in transport mode. IKE is working fine so far. I wanted to check how dependable the connection is and started to disturb strongswan. During the tests I continuously pinged through the connection.

My first test was to delete the SPI with

# ip xfrm state flush

the connection got down immediately (of course). While I have strongswan configured to use DPD I expected it to renegotiate automatically, but it didn't. Instead I got many log entries like this

charon: 07[KNL] querying SAD entry with SPI c6c44e8f failed: No such process (3)
charon: 07[IKE] sending DPD request

So it seems that charon is aware that the SPI is missing, but it does not try to renegotiate the connection. Why is that the case? Wouldn't it be resonable to renegotiate if the kernel says "No such process"??

Regards,

Steffen