[strongSwan] Load balancing

Naveen pncbose at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 20:27:54 CET 2013

Thanks Hans for responding. Sorry for changing the mail thread as i am having issues with mail client.

> "It depends on your perspective cq. what you try to achieve...."

use case is like this: few thousand iOS clients connecting to 'n' Strongswan nodes. For now i am not worried about node failure. Once node fails, client needs to reconnect.

> 1. Clients P.O.V., you probably want to initiate multiple tunnels, and load balance your traffic over them, see LART
Not sure what LART means.. Please elaborate.

> 2. Server P.O.V.  multiple options though  it is more load-spreading and not really load-balancing , you can spread incoming requests, the set-ups, over multiple servers by means of iptables, dnat and the random module.
Could you point me to a working config/example that i could start experimenting.

> After setup, the tunnel remains bound to that machine, no swapping hosts after that.Also, DNS/round-robin should also work
Hans
Yes - no swapping after tunnel connection. while DNS/round-robin works, i believe it has a limitation of not considering load of the nodes.

regards
Naveen