[strongSwan] Load balancing

Pawel Grzesik pawel.grzesik at brainstorm.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 10:10:19 CET 2013

On 21 Nov 2013, at 18:56, Naveen <pncbose at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if anyone has been successful in loadbalancing Strongswan using LVS so far? It would be great if any notes/direction is pointed.
>
> I am trying to load balance VPN connections and looking for a simple cheap solution (for eg avoiding hardware solutions such as F5).
> I am not considering DNS based load balancing. My understanding of Strongswan High availability is that it takes care of handling errors and at this point i dont need that and really not sure if it can solve my loadbalancing requirement.
>
> There are few questions in LVS forum but no specific answers...
>
> thanks in advance
> Naveen

It doesn’t matter witch HA/LoadBalancing you will choose, it can be LVS, Pacemaker or even haproxy before strong swan nodes. The point is how to keep the sessions. You will need to setup virtual IP on your strong swan, there is a Cluster IP.
More information you can find on the official website: http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/HighAvailability.

Thanks,
Pawel Grzesik