[strongSwan] Deadlocked strongswan.

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Thu Nov 7 10:05:27 CET 2013

Hi Guru,

Thanks for the detailed report.  It is in fact a deadlock caused by
thread 3 holding the lock in bus.c and trying to acquire the lock in
trap_manager.c that is currently being held by thread 14, which in turn
wants to acquire the lock in bus.c held by thread 3.

This situation may occur if "ipsec route" is called (maybe via starter
due to auto=route) while SAs are concurrently being established.

The main problem is that the write lock in trap_manager.c is held while
the IPsec policies are installed.  I pushed a fix to the trap-deadlock
branch in our repository [1] (it won't apply to 5.0.4 directly as there
were some changes to trap_manager.c since then).

Regards,
Tobias

[1] http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=commitdiff;h=4ffa72f65