[strongSwan] Running multiple charon daemons

Christophe Gouault christophe.gouault at 6wind.com
Fri May 24 09:48:53 CEST 2013

Hi François,

If you use netns created by "ip netns add <netnsname>" and start charon
with "ip netns exec <netnsname> ipsec start", then there is a solution
(that we successfully used here to perform IKE tests with a single machine:

"ip netns exec netns1" enables to start the application in netns netns1,
but also, if the /etc/netns/netns1 directory exists, the files and
sub-directories will be remapped in /etc for the application (provided a
file or directory with the same name already exists in /etc).

So, you just have to store your configuration files in this directory
and the pid and socket files in a sub-directory. To do that, you must
chose a different piddir when compiling strongswan:

Example for netns1 and netns2:

create netns and directories
----------------------------
ip netns add netns1
ip netns add netns2
mkdir -p /etc/run
mkdir -p /etc/netns/netns1/run
mkdir -p /etc/netns/netns2/run

generate strongswan
-------------------
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --with-piddir=/etc/run make
make install

configure and run strongswan instances
--------------------------------------
Then, you can store configurations files for each charon instance in the
/etc/netns/<netnsname> directory, and start each instance of charon with:
ip netns exec <netnsname> ipsec start

The pid and unix socket files will be stored in
/etc/netns/<netnsname>/run directory instead of the default /var/run.

(From the application point of view, the configuration files are in
/etc, pid and socket files are in /etc/run directories, but they are
actually stored in /etc/netns/<netnsname> and /etc/netns/<netnsname>/run
directories)

Enjoy

Best Regards,
Christophe