[strongSwan] IPCOMP question

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Thu May 16 13:43:39 CEST 2013

Hi Anton,

> So why IPCOMP does not work through NAT or UDP encapsulation ? I
> suspect there is some fundamental reason (protocols restrictions or
> so).

There is no protocol restriction or something that could prevent IPComp
for working over NAT. However, there were some restrictions with the way
charon installed the compression SA bundle.

It seems that these restrictions don't apply anymore with the way we
handle those SA bundles now. In my testing it seems that compression
works fine both over connections with forceencaps and over NAT. You may
try the patch at [1] that allows you to use compression on such
connections, let me know if that works for you.

[1]http://git.strongswan.org/?p=strongswan.git;a=commitdiff;h=refs/heads/ipcomp-nat