[strongSwan] netfilter rules for IPsec-only hosts?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Jul 28 23:39:36 CEST 2013

Hi.

Could someone perhaps confirm the following....

I have some iptables rules attached, and what they should do is, that
it's guaranteed that with some hosts all traffic is IPsec'ed (with ESP
and tunnel mode) before it is sent to or accepted from it.

1) Do they really work like this as I expect?

2) Can they be made better (e.g. more secure/strict) for that purpose?

3) Not sure about this part:
-A ipsec-only-in	! --protocol esp	-j REJECT  --reject-with icmp-admin-prohibited
-A ipsec-only-out	! --protocol esp	-j REJECT  --reject-with icmp-admin-prohibited
Couldn't I drop the "! --protocol esp"?

Thanks,
Chris.