[strongSwan] Using X509 DN for rightid

Michael Durket durket at highwire.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 28 18:14:47 CET 2013

In the wiki page that specifies a configuration that works for iOS devices (http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IOS_(Apple) ) it says in the section titled "Install Certificates":

      "It is not necessary to keep the client certificate on the server, but it can be useful to use it       as an ID (rightcert=clientCert.pem)"

Is the ID referred to the ID that is used to determine (and prevent) multiple connections from the same ID and IP so that if I issued different certificates for a person's different iOS devices I would not need to set "uniqueids=never" in ipsec.conf to allow them to login multiple devices from the same IP?

Do I also need to store the certificate key as shown in the example or is it sufficient to store only the certificate files for the individual users.