[strongSwan] Kernel drops all client Packages with virtual IP

richard -rw- weinberger richard.weinberger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 13:13:57 CET 2013

Hi!

On my RHEL6 system (strongswan 4.6.4) I'm using the following setup:
http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IOS_%28Apple%29

The client can connect to the server and gets a virtual IP assigned.
But the Kernel seems to drop the packets from the client immediately.

server config:
conn ios
        keyexchange=ikev1
        authby=xauthrsasig
        xauth=server
        left=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
        leftcert=serverCert.pem
        leftfirewall=yes
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=10.99.0.0/24
        rightsourceip=10.99.0.2
        rightcert=clientCert.pem
        pfs=no
        auto=add

Using tcpdump I can see Packets from 10.99.0.2 but Linux seems to drop
them while routing them.
If I install an iptables LOG rule into the PREROUTING chain, iptables
logs the packet. Later (E.g. in FORWARD) they do no longer exist.

Do I need to install any IP out of 10.99.0.0/24 on my server?
Or is there anything else which needs to be done on the Linux side
which is not covered by the above tutorial?
Before I start debugging on kernel level I'd like to verify that I'm
not missing something obvious...

Thanks,
//richard