[strongSwan] NO_ADDITIONAL_SAS on RFC5996

Murali v muracse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 17:24:58 CET 2013

Hi Sir,

We are using Strongswan-4.5.3 in our application . Here we are facing some
issue during the CHILD_SA Re-Key.
The messages are given below.

Initiator
                         Responder

        --------------- CREATE_CHILD_SA (CHILD_SA Re-Key)------------->

        ----------------CREATE_CHILD_SA (NO_ADDITIONAL_SAS)-------->

       ----------------- INFORMATIONAL (DELETE for IKE)
---------------------->

As per the RFC 5996, it say's as below for "NO_ADDITIONAL_SAS" Notification
 ,

*If the responder rejects the CREATE_CHILD_SA*

*request with a NO_ADDITIONAL_SAS notification, the implementation*

*MUST be capable of instead deleting the old SA and creating a new*

*one.*

Here it say's that the CHILD_SA deletion & creation . However , in
Strongswan, it's doing the RE-AUTH of IKE_SA.

Is this the expected behavior or the RFC 5996 is case not implemented ?

 Thanks & Regards,

Murali V