[strongSwan] left vs. right in ipsec.conf

Justin Grover justin.grover at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:35:39 CET 2013

Hello StrongSwanners,

I'm just getting started with strongswan.  I've successfully installed
a strongswan sever (ubuntu 12.04) with IPAddress 192.168.0.50.  I'm
attempting to connect to the server using a strongswan client
(ubuntu) installed on the same network with IPAddress 192.168.0.75, but the
connection is failing.  I'm confused to what "left=" and "right=" mean in
the ipsec.conf file.

Right now they are set to %any.  Can somone explain what they mean?

I've tried looking at the documentation (
http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/IpsecConf), but that
did not help.

Thanks,
Justin