[strongSwan] Guidance on split-exclude when using Unity plugin

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Feb 1 12:02:10 CET 2013

Hi,

> I have a VPN (strongswwan 5.0.2) which is a gateway for all traffic
> (IOS devices, ikev1).  I would like to exclude certain "sites" (aka
> hostnames) from that.

As far as I know, split-exclude does not work with iOS clients. It works
with OS X, but unfortunately not with iOS or the native Android client.
Split-include works fine with iOS.

> I have replicated this on both IOS clients and an Ubuntu strongswan
> client.

What version of strongSwan was running on Ubuntu? You'll require at
least 5.0.1 with the unity plugin enabled to get split-include/exclude
working. How does the routing table look like (ip route show table 220),
and what policies get installed (ipsec statusall, ip xfrm policy)?