[strongSwan] Problems with StrongSwan 5.x and Cisco

Izz Abdullah izz.abdullah at wepanow.com
Sun Dec 1 18:22:12 CET 2013

I had some of the same problems you experienced.  I will say with 5.0.4, there are issues with renegotiating (Issue 317 specifically) when a Cisco device is on the other side.  I have since upgraded to 5.1.1 with the patch and am still having the same issue, but have written scripts to get around it for now.
As for the: Tasks Queued: Quick Mode
I also experienced that in 5.1.1 and found out through some help on this list that I needed to add a new parameter, specifically with PIX on the other end, modeconfig=push in my connection details for that specific connection.  Everything else I kept the same.  I now have a successfully established tunnel, I just don't have good routing due to NAT on both ends, but that is a problem I believe I need to correct.
Try the modeconfig parameter in your ipsec.conf in 5.1.1, and look at http://wiki.strongswan.org/issues/317 specifically for an issue with renegotiations in earlier versions.

I hope this info helps some.  Otherwise please do post logs and we all will do our best to assist.

Thanks,
Izz

Izz Abdullah
Senior Systems Engineer