[strongSwan] Creating an ad-hoc tunnel with charon-cmd?

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Wed Aug 14 11:09:52 CEST 2013

Hi,

> charon-cmd is not willing to wait for the other side of the connection,

This is not what charon-cmd has been designed for. charon-cmd is a
simple IKE client (initiator) for use in road-warrior scenarios. It
can't act as an IKE responder.

> give two arbitrary machines from a large pool of machines, how do you
> create a tunnel between the two?

This requires to create connections dynamically. Scripting ipsec.conf
and "ipsec" commands is cumbersome, but we have a powerful plugin API.
That allows you to write extensions doing whatever you need, initiating
or responding with dynamically created connections.