[strongSwan] Guidance for upgrading Strongswan

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Fri Aug 9 13:18:19 CEST 2013

Hi Gregg,

> I'm going to need to upgrade my Strongswan installation from the Ubuntu
> repository version of 4.5.2 to the latest 5.1.0.  Does anyone have
> recommendations for what to look out for and potential traps for this?
> Would I be better off uninstalling the Ubuntu default installation and
> compiling from scratch?

If you are going to replace your debianized 4.5.2 installation with your
self-compiled 5.1.0, I recommend to uninstall the old package first.

Of course you can debianize 5.1.0 yourself and provide a replacement for
4.5.2 with it, but you definitely should avoid having two version of
strongSwan installed on the same box.

If you are using IKEv1 connections, please read [1]. Migrating IKEv2
connections should be less of a problem.

[1]http://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/CharonPlutoIKEv1