[strongSwan] IPsec/IKEv2 tunnels scalability issue with load-tester plugin (using strongSwan 5.0.4)

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Thu Aug 8 10:17:02 CEST 2013

> I modified the strongswan codes to set the soft_add_expires_seconds,
> hard_add_expires_seconds, soft_use_expires_seconds and
> hard_use_expires_seconds to 86400 seconds (i.e., 24 hours) in add_sa()
> (kernel_netlink_ipsec.c).

Maybe I was not clear enough: my suggestion was to change the value
of /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_acq_expires. This is set on line 2669 of
kernel_netlink_ipsec.c.

Should the IKE_AUTH exchange take longer than 165s, the kernel will
remove the SA larval created during SPI allocation, and the installation
of the negotiated SA fails.