[strongSwan] Strongswan with freeradius on Debian server

Sabrina Louison-francois sabrina.louison-francois at ens-cachan.fr
Thu Apr 25 08:48:36 CEST 2013

Hello,

I installed a strongswan server (5.0.3) on Debian and want it to work
with radius authentication (eap-peap) for my users. My server
authenticates with a certificate.

Here is server's ipsec.conf:
# basic configuration

config setup
         # strictcrlpolicy=yes
         # uniqueids = no

# Add connections here.

conn road
         left=192.168.10.8       # Gateway's information
         leftid=%fromcert
         leftsubnet=10.1.0.0/24
         leftrsasigkey=%cert
         leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/myserver.pem
         eap_identity=%any
         right=%any
         rightauth=eap-radius
         rightsendcert=never
         auto=add

I tested it with a client on Debian. In ipsec.secrets, I tried to put
password for my login like this  '  login : EAP "passwd"  '. But it does
not work. No password is sent to the radius server and the
authentication failed.

Here is user's ipsec.conf:
# basic configuration

config setup
         # strictcrlpolicy=yes
         # uniqueids = no

# Add connections here.

conn home
         left=%any       # Localhost's information
         leftauth=eap-radius
         leftauth2=xauth-eap
         #leftrsasigkey=%cert
         eap_identity="login"
         right=192.168.10.8
         rightsubnet=10.1.0.0/24
         rightid=%fromcert
         rightrsasigkey=%cert
         auto=add

Could anyone tell me where the password must be set ? Or is there a way
to force my server asking for user's credentials each time ?

Thanks for you help.

--
Sabrina