[strongSwan] Working config for integrated Android IPSec Client

Bharath Kumar cbkumar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 02:55:10 CEST 2013

Hi Noel,

Yes, Android 4.x built-in client works fine with Strongswan with
xauthrsasig.

This (below) works fine for me. I use PAM for XAUTH but you could choose to
have local users in ipsec.secrets if you wish.

conn android_profile
        keyexchange=ikev1
        auto=add
        authby=xauthrsasig
        xauth=server
        left=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=10.12.0.0/16
        leftcert=myvpnservercert.pem
        right=%any
        rightsourceip=%virtualippool
        rightsubnet=192.168.0.0/24
        rightcert=AndroidClientCert.pem
        rightauth=pubkey
        rightauth2=xauth-pam

The virtualippool is created using the "ipsec pool" command. Note that
you'd have to setup the sqlite3 database for which you'd need attr-sql and
sqlite plugins. I referred to this for mine.
https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2010-October/005425.html

Once you have that, you just have to install AndroidClientCert.pem and the
CA cert on your Android device and configure the VPN (Strongswan) Gateway
address, the certificates, and the username and password and it should just
work fine. Just start the VPN connection and start using the app.

Thanks,
Bharath Kumar