[strongSwan] updown script + stats

kgardenia42 kgardenia42 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:44:23 CEST 2013

Hi,

In an updown script it seems that $PLUTO_PEER gives me the public
address of the VPN user.  Is there any way to get the VPN address
assigned to the user (i.e. the 10.x.x.x address).

Or has that not been assigned at that point?

On a related note, I would like to log usage stats for each
$PLUTO_PEER_ID as the disconnect.   Are the usage stats for the
current session available in the updown script?  If not would it make
sense for me to try to patch it to add this functionality?  Or can
someone suggest a better way?

More generally: is there any recipe for keeping stats on usage per
user (simply for sizing/costing of resources).

I know I could periodically scrape/sample the output of "ipsec
statusall"  but that seems a fairly dirty approach.  Is there any
better way to record usage stats per connected id?

Thanks.