[strongSwan] Kernel crashes with AES-GCM

Guru Shetty gurushettylists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 22:40:37 CEST 2012

On 27 September 2012 11:13, Robert Woodcock
<robert.woodcock at cobaltmortgage.com> wrote:
> I can replicate this as well  - usually in 2-5 hours with 3.2.23 and 3.4.11,
> on 82571EB NICs and a E3-1270 CPU. I don't have a full call trace yet (need
> to set up a serial console first) but the last 25 lines of mine look pretty
> similar to yours.
>
> I'm using tunnel mode, not transport, with aes128gcm16.
I am glad that I am not the only person seeing this.
As a workaround, I am currently running longterm traffic tests with
just the aes + hardware acceleration. It does not give as good a
performance as aes-gcm+hardware acceleration, but it is better than
without hardware help. No crashes yet.

PS: If your sole goal is to collect the back trace, you do not need a
serial console. You can collect it by booting into a kdump kernel.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/CrashdumpRecipe?action=show&redirect=KernelTeam%2FCrashdumpRecipe
reboot
cat /sys/kernel/kexec_crash_loaded should give 1.

echo c | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigger
 - This triggers a crash.
 - The machine reboots.
 - In /var/crash, you will have a file like this:
linux-image-3.2.0-24-generic.0.crash

* mkdir -p /root/temp
* apport-unpack /var/crash/linux-image-3.2.0-24-generic.0.crash /root/temp
 - This will unpack the *.crash and give you a VmCore

* Create a new file - /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list
Add the following content:
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com precise main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com precise-security main restricted universe
multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com precise-proposed main restricted universe multiverse
 - sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 428D7C01
 - sudo apt-get update

* sudo apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r)-dbgsym
* cd /root/temp (the unpacked .crash exists there)
* crash /boot/System.map-3.2.0-24-generic
/usr/lib/debug/boot/vmlinux-3.2.0-24-generic VmCore
  - bt: Will show you the trace.

Thanks,
Guru