[strongSwan] [strongSwan-dev] install policy to kernel using netlink_xfrm

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Mon Sep 17 11:50:30 CEST 2012

Hi Hyun,

On 17.09.2012 06:24, Yoo Hyun wrote:
> Thank you, Andreas
>
> I have one more question..
>
> Why check inbound traffic after decryption?
>
> I think firewall can control traffic.

Section 4.4.1 "The Security Policy Database (SPD)" of IPsec
RFC 4301 mandates the enforcement of the IPsec Policy for both
outbound *and* inbound directions:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4301#section-4.4.1

   The SPD, or relevant caches, must be consulted during the
   processing of all traffic (inbound and outbound), including traffic
   not protected by IPsec, that traverses the IPsec boundary.

Thus an RFC 4301 compliant IPsec implementation is not allowed to
defer the enforcement of the inbound IPsec policy to a firewall.

> Could I get example for using XFRM_POLICY_IN and XFRM_POLICY_FWD?

In the following remote access scenario

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/config-payload/

XFRM_POLICY_IN controls the inbound traffic of the hosts carol
and dave

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/config-payload/carol.ip.policy

whereas XFRM_POLICY_FWD on gateway moon controls inbound traffic
e.g. to the client alice in the subnetwork behind the gateway

http://www.strongswan.org/uml/testresults/ikev2/config-payload/moon.ip.policy

XFRM_POLICY_IN would only be used for traffic terminating on
the gateway moon itself:

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org