[strongSwan] Regarding Installation issue in strongswan

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Mon Nov 19 20:55:43 CET 2012

Hi Saravan,

RFC 4306 cannot be read as a stand-alone document but the
clarifications offered by

RFC 4718 IKEv2 Clarifications and Implementation Guidelines

must be considered as well. Actually the original goal of
RFC 5996 was to combine RFC 4306 and RFC 4718 into a single
document.

Section 4.3 Diffie-Hellman for First CHILD_SA clearly states:

    Section 1.2 [of RFC 4306] shows that IKE_AUTH messages do not
    contain KEi/KEr or Ni/Nr payloads.  This implies that the SA payload
    in IKE_AUTH exchange cannot contain Transform Type 4 (Diffie-Hellman
    Group) with any other value than NONE.  Implementations should
    probably leave the transform out entirely in this case.

    Thus if you include a DH-Transform in the IKE_AUTH request it must
    have the value NONE.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org