[strongSwan] How to use Strongswan 5.0.1 & Smartcard correctly?

richter at ecos.de richter at ecos.de
Thu Nov 15 06:20:15 CET 2012

HI Martin,

finally I got the time to test your latest patches (actually I test git master HEAD) regarding smartcards.

 It worked for me, but I need the changes I described in my earlier mails. Because this seems special to the smartcards I am using and I didn't found another solution, I add two config settings that allows to change the behavior as desired.

In pkcs11 config:

use_x509 = false

Use the public key from the x509 certificate instead of the public key with the same ID to find the correct private key. This might be necessary for some smartcards, when the private key cannot be found during  connection setup.

require_x509 = true

When searching for the certificate on the smartcard, strongswan normaly searches for a certificate which is tagged as X509. If a certificate that is availbale on the card cannot be found, it might help to set this to false.

Patch is attached

Gerald